Do you want to start a PVC insulation tape manufacturing process? Find here a detailed guide on the steps to be taken to start this manufacturing business with machinery, process.
Pressure-sensitive PVC insulation Tape is very popular as an electrical insulation material. The major characteristics of insulation tapes are that they should be water-resistant, oil-resistant, and temperature resistant. And it all can be found with PVC insulation tape.
The pressure-sensitive adhesives are composed of a rubbery type elastomer combined with a liquid or solid resin tackifier component. Sometimes, a mixture of resins can also be used to obtain specific properties otherwise not obtainable by using the resins singled.
The rheological properties of the adhesive can be altered by the addition of fillers. Antioxidants are used to stabilize the adhesive against oxidation, and light and heat degradation.
Here is a Stepwise Guide on PVC Insulation Tape Manufacturing Business
1. PVC Insulation Tape Market Potential
Adhesive tapes will continue to account for over two-thirds of aggregate sales. Tapes will make further inroads at the expense of competitive carton sealing media such as glues and mechanical fasteners.
Rising corrugated box sales will also bode favorably for Adhesive tape demand. Among the other tape types, the best opportunities exist for technical and specialty tapes, such as the double-sided adhesive tapes increasingly utilized in fastening and bonding applications in industries such as building construction, motor vehicle assembly, electronics, telecommunications, etc.
Insulation tapes have a market size of Rs. 40 Crores (approx.). Including the unorganized sector, there are around 200 players in the market (even though most are regional).
Related: Profitable Electrical And Electronics Products Manufacturing Ideas
2. PVC Insulation Tape Manufacturing Business Registration & License
In initiating a small and medium scale PVC insulation tape manufacturing business, you will need to apply for the following registration and licenses from different Government authorities.
- Business registration with ROC
- Apply for Udyog Aadhaar MSME registration
- Apply for Trade License from local Municipal authority
- GST Registration
- Obtain BIS Certification
- Factory License for a large-scale manufacturing operation
- There is no major pollution problem associated with this industry except for the disposal of waste which should be managed appropriately. However, it is advised to take the “No Objection Certificate” from the State Pollution Control Board.
3. Finance For PVC Insulation Tape Manufacturing Business
You can apply for a project loan for the entire finance requirement. In that case, you will need to arrange the collateral security according to the bank’s requirements.
In entire project financing, generally, you will need to invest at least 30% of the total project cost as the owner’s allocation. Otherwise, for fixed capital investment, you can apply term loan and for working capital assistance, you can apply for cash credit or overdraft facility.
Related Article: How To Get Small Business Loans
4. Machinery & Raw Material For PVC Insulation Tape Manufacturing
- One meter working width Adhesive Coating Plant for PVC Tapes consisting of the following:
(i) Unwinder for Primary The Web with tension control.
(ii) Rotogravure Printing unit
(iii) Drying Tunnel – 60 ft. length
(iv) Chilling Roll/Surface Support Roll
(v) Pneumatic/Hydraulic web aligner
(vi) Dancing Roller, Accumulator, Rewinder
(vii) A.C. & D.C. Motors, Control cabinets,
Air Blowers with Temperature Controllers etc.
- Slicing machine complete with 2 HP Motor, Starter & Circular Knives.
- Attritor cum Emulsifier 200 Lit. capacity with 5 HP A.C. Motor.
- 12″ X 26″ Three Roll Mass Grinding machine with 15 HP Motor, Gear Box & Starter.
- Testing and lab equipment.
The major required raw material is PVC film-100. Apart from this, you will need to procure rubber-based adhesive, core for winding, and packaging consumables.
5. PVC Insulation Tape Production Process
The present project envisages the production of PVC Self-adhesive Electric Insulation Tapes from PVC film rolls procured from the market. However, the manufacturing process essentially consists of the following major operations.
- Manufacturing of the adhesive mass.
- Application of primer and adhesive coating to the PVC film.
- Drying of the adhesive coating at the required temperature.
- Cutting the film rolls into tapes of the required width.
- The required length of the finished tapes is wound on cores and suitably packed for despatch.
6. Quality Standard of PVC Insulation Tape
Quality parameters of PVC Insulation tape generally depend on the following aspects:
- Stickiness of tape
- Good ‘stitching’
- The adhesive should not spread due to heat
- Long-lasting adhesion
- Water, weather, and temperature resistance.
- Also resistant to acids, alkalis, oils, greases, etc.
BIS quality specification and standard for PVC insulation tape IS: 7809 – 1986
Editorial Staff at NextWhatBusiness is a team of Business Consultants having years of experience in small and medium scale businesses.