It is a matter of fact, nonstick cookware can reduce the ability of other materials to stick to it. Non-stick is often used to refer to surfaces coated with polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), a well-known brand of which is Teflon. Nowadays non-stick cookware or utensils are getting immense popularity in both urban and rural areas.
Generally, non-stick cookware comes with a wide range of items. Some of the basic items are Pans, Frying Pans, Tawa, Kadhai, Pressure Cooker, Saucepans, Tadka Pan, Chef’s Pan, etc. Basically, these utensils have several advantages over conventional cookware. Such as lesser usage of cooking medium like edible oil and lesser spoilage of cooked material by overheating burning, etc.
The industry is highly profitable and demands strategic planning. However, any individual can initiate a non-stick cookware manufacturing business with a moderate capital investment.
Here are the Steps to Follow to Start a NonStick Cookware Business
Understand the Non-Stick Cookware Market Potential
The market for non-stick cookware in India is a fast-growing one. The demand is being fuelled by several aspects. Broadly these are increasing health consciousness, a fast-paced lifestyle, and the need for convenience. The increased purchasing power particularly that of double-income households is enabling the adoption of non-stick cookware.
Non-stick cookware has also become a symbol of an evolved kitchen. More and more people are opting to use this attractive addition to one’s kitchen. Currently the demand from domestic and export markets for pressure cookers and non-stick cookware growing at 20-25% year on year. Hence, we can conclude that nonstick cookware manufacturing is a profitable business for new entrepreneurs.
NonStick Cookware Manufacturing Business Compliance
Basically, the non-stick cookware manufacturing business demands several registrations and licenses from the concerned authority. It is advisable to check your state law. However, here we have compiled some of the basic requirements.
- First of all, you need business registration. According to the investment pattern, select the right form of business and register it.
- Obtain Trade License from the local authority.
- Obtain a PAN card.
- Open a current bank account.
- Apply for a NOC from the Pollution Control Board.
- Select the brand name for your product and secure it with Trademark registration.
- Additionally, apply for BIS certification. Because you have to maintain the quality standard. Therefore, you have to test the materials with several methods. These are the saltwater corrosion resistance test, the thickness of the coating, non-stick quality, adhesive test, dimension of utensil test, etc.
- Finally, check the tax liabilities of your state. You have to comply with GST.
Non-Stick Cookware Manufacturing Plant Setup & Machinery
In starting a medium-scale plant, you have to secure a 5000 Sq Ft shade area for the operation. Space must have a commercial electrical connection, a water source for regular use, and easy transport options.
It is always better to secure a plant area in the industrial zone. However, if you are starting the unit nearby the residential zone, then have the NOC from your neighbors. In addition, if you don’t have a space of your own, then start the business from a rental location.
With some simple machinery, you can set up a semi-automatic plant. The basic required machines are the following:
- Continuous baking oven for a base coat with digital temperature control up to 150°C
- Continuous baking oven for the topcoat with digital temperature control up to 500° C.
- Drilling machine
- Buffing machine CI stand
- Air compressor cylinders with a spray gun
- Testing equipment-Corrosion cabinet for salt spray, Thickness Micrometer, Scrubbing Tester, Bending barrel for adhesive Test.
- Weighing Machine
- Other equipment and tools.
Non-Stick Cookware Manufacturing Process
Basically, the manufacturing process involves several steps. First of all, procure good quality aluminum utensils. Then go for sandblasting. The next step is PTFE coating. Here, you have to maintain some specific technical specifications.
Finally, you have to give the materials good finishing. Go for a quality check and stamp your company brand name. The final steps are cleaning and packaging.
Procure Required Raw Materials
Basically, the major raw material is the good quality aluminum utensil. Because the quality of nonstick cookware hugely depends on the base utensil. Additionally, you have to arrange PTFE coating liquid, Bakelite handles, Brackets, SS screws, Aluminum Rivets, Wooden spatula, and Packing materials.
Suggested Read: Best Small Manufacturing Business Ideas
The machinery and raw material suppliers are available throughout the country. However, you have to craft a customized business plan prior according to your investment capacity and business size. In addition, you have to concentrate on the marketing and branding aspects to get long-term success in the nonstick cookware business.
Editorial Staff at NextWhatBusiness is a team of Business Consultants having years of experience in small and medium scale businesses.