Ceramic glazed tiles are the special type of ceramic tiles to which a glaze has been applied. Glazed tiles, in general, are tiles with a sheen on the surface. ceramic glazed tiles production allows manufacturers to produce an unlimited assortment of colors, hues, and designs.
The glazing also protects the tile from staining from dirt, grime, and water. Zirconium-based yellow, blue, green, and pink stains are used directly for producing colored ceramic glazed tiles. They are generally used in bathrooms and kitchens in modern housing and in Analytical Laboratories and toilets attached to Railway stations.
Ceramic Glazed Tiles Production Market Opportunity
Ceramic Glazed tiles are made of a porous body with a coating of white or colored Glaze. The products have properties like good resistance to weather and chemicals, having high strength, hard, glossy surface with different colors, and pleasing appearance. These tiles are durable, easy to clean, have more life, and are available in pleasing colors. The demand for ceramic glazed tiles is increasing rapidly.
Demand for ceramic tiles is primarily led by an increase in construction activities globally and rising demand for new residential houses in buildings. The Asia Pacific dominates the global market for ceramic tiles. The improved living standard coupled with a good economic situation along with supporting Govt. policies for the housing sector is the major reason for the demand for these products.
The demands of these products have also increased by the need for renovation works of the old above similar buildings. Considering these aspects, we can say, ceramic glazed tiles production is a profitable venture for new entrepreneurs.
Registration & License For Ceramic Glazed Tiles Production
In starting a small-scale ceramic glazed tiles production business, you will need to obtain the following registrations and licenses.
- Incorporate your company with ROC.
- Obtain a Trade License
- Apply for GST registration
- Apply for MSME Udyog Aadhaar Registration
- For a large setup, you must obtain a factory License
- Apply for BIS certification
- Glaze tile has a share in the present Environmental Degradation. Obtain ‘No Objection Certificate’ from State Pollution Control Board according to the norms.
- You can protect your brand name by registering Trademark
Ceramic Glazed Tiles Production Machines & Unit Setup
In starting a small and medium-scale ceramic glazed tiles production unit, you will need to procure the following machinery.
- Ball Mill 04 T Cap.02 nos Connected with 20 H.P.motor and accessories each.
- Agitator 02 T one no. with 10H.P.motor and accessories.
- Hydraulic filter press 120 plates with 05 H.P.pump and filter clothes 1 set extra 2 nos.
- Pan Mill 1 no Connected with 7.5 H.P. motor complete
- Bucket Elevators and Silos
- 80 T Hydraulic press connected with 15 H.P.motor and suitable dies
- Glazing line conveyor connected with 2 H.P.Motor two nos. and online blower 05 H.P. 4 nos
- Ball Mill for glazing of 500 kg capacity connected with 05 H.P.motor
- Glaze vat with vertical Pump the arrangement with agitators connected with 0.5 H.P.motor
- Pot Mill connected with 04 pot attachment and 01 H.P.motor
- Drier and Shuttle kiln with 18 cars attachment with transfer car arrangement
- Buller Ring Apparatus
- Necessary laboratory equipment
In initiating a ceramic glazed tiles production unit, it is recommended to have a completely customized project report or business plan in hand. The machinery installation floor plan should be crafted with the help of a civil engineer.
Energy conservation should be done carefully. Some of the effective methods are:
- Complete combustion with minimum excess air.
- Proper heat distribution.
- Operating the kiln at the desired temperature.
- Reducing heat losses from the openings.
- Minimizing wall losses.
- Waste heat recovery from fuel gasses and utilization for Drying Tiles
- Control of Chimney draught and kiln pressure
- Use of lubricants and proper maintenance
Ceramic glazed tiles production is considered a techno-commercially profitable venture. The unit should be in a place where it should be connected with road and Rail transport so that there should be no problem in arranging raw materials and also dispatches of finished products. Required utilities are 205 hp electricity and sufficient water supply approximately 10 KL.
Required major raw materials are local clay, wollastonite, talc, and glaze.
Ceramic Glazed Tiles Production Process
The raw materials like local clay, China clay, Ball clay, Wollastonite chips, and pitchers are mixed and ground thoroughly to form a uniform slip. They are unloaded in an agitator. The slip is screened, magnetized, and kept in an agitating tank with the addition of required de flocculents. The material is then passed through
The material is then passed through a filter press to get rid of soluble salts to make a plastic body. The plastic body is dried in a dryer to get the dried mass of 5-6 % moisture.
The dried mass is subsequently fed into a pan mill. The output of the pan mill is stored in vertical silos. The mixture is now ready for pressing tiles.
The pressed green tiles are stacked on the kiln car in a stack of 3 ft. height and dried by using hot waste air from the kiln. The green tiles are dried for 20 hrs.
The dried tiles are pushed along with the kiln car and allowed for firing for 20 hrs. The outputs are known as Biscuits. The hot tiles above 250-300C are allowed to cool in nature normally.
Cool the tiles when coming at normal room temperature 30-40C. Additionally, screen through online sorting followed by Hammer test and Brushing, water spraying and Glazing.
Then the Glazed wares are loaded into refractory cassettes on an endless moving conveyor.
Load the cassettes onto Glost Kiln car. Additionally, allow for firing at a temperature of 1040C for a cycle of 18 hrs.
The cooled tiles are unloaded from the cassettes and allowed for online inspection. The tiles are checked into 1st as Prime,2nd as commercial grade, and 3rd as Reject Variety. After sorting the tiles are packed and stripped and stamped and sent to the stockyard. A single pack of tile weighs 16 kg and
After sorting the tiles are packed and stripped and stamped and sent to the stockyard. A single pack of tile weighs 16 kg and is ready for sale.
Quality Standard For Ceramic Glazed Tiles Production
Raw material testing is a must. After only the result is satisfactory they should be used. During the manufacturing process quality checking is a must at the times of grinding, mixing, and pressing.
Finally, finished products must be selected at random and tested to ascertain their asset values with the help of the Modulus of Rupture test (MOR), Warpage, Apparent Porosity, Bulk density, Crazing test, Scratch Hardness test on a regular basis as per BIS specification. The BIS standard for Ceramic Glazed Tiles Production are:
IS: 777-1970 –Glazed Tiles
IS:2840-1965 –China clay for Ceramic Industry
IS:4589-1979 –Plastic clay for Ceramic Industry
Ceramic glazed tiles manufacturing business is a profitable small-scale manufacturing business idea. However sincere effort and dedication are required to be successful in this business.
Editorial Staff at NextWhatBusiness is a team of Business Consultants having years of experience in small and medium scale businesses.