Socks Making Manufacturing Business: Socks are widely used hosiery items in India. Men, women, kids, and even infants use socks for protection purposes. Sometimes specialty socks are used by athletes and sportsmen. Socks are also protecting apparel in some industry operations for their workers.
Generally, socks come with a wide variety of designs, patterns, colors, and sizes. Socks of various types and designs can be produced by using cotton yarn, acrylic yarn, polyester yarn, and nylon yarn of different counts, qualities, and shades.
There are varieties of socks available for ladies like nylon socks, trouser socks, slouch socks, knee-high socks, toe socks, etc.
Broadly, socks are made with two different fibers. One is cotton and another is nylon. Sometimes woolen socks are also used to protect the skin from the cold. Socks making is a profitable business in the knitted garment industry. Any individual can start this business on a medium and large-scale basis.
Is Sock Making Manufacturing Business Profitable?
In recent years with the advent of luxury socks and socks for a specific application, socks have transformed from commodity items to fashion pieces.
Owing to the transformation of this traditional item into a luxury product, the growth of the socks market outpaces the overall growth of the apparel industry.
Almost 70% of men use socks every day. Hence, the robust growth of the men’s apparel industry is expected to be the major driver of the socks industry in the coming days. Athletic socks are the largest product segment in the socks market.
The primary driver for the athletic socks market is its diversified application. Athletic socks are majorly used for sports and gym purposes. However, they are also popular as casual wear with informal footwear.
The growth of the socks market is attributed to the rapid expansion of the retail network in developing economies primarily China, Brazil, and India.
Increasing population and disposable income in these regions boost further drive the retail sector, which in turn is increasing the demand for socks. Asia-Pacific accounted for the largest market share for socks. Hence, we can conclude, that starting socks making business is a profitable venture for entrepreneurs.
Socks Manufacturing Business Compliance
You must obtain different registration and licenses to start socks making business. First of all, you must check your state’s law. Here, we have listed some of the basic requirements.
- Obtain Trade License from the local authority.
- Apply for MSME Udyog Aadhaar registration
- Protect your brand name with Trademark registration
- Apply for GST Registration.
- Obtain BSI certification. The Bureau of Indian Standards has specified the following Indian standards for knitted socks. Cotton socks– IS 3329:1973 and Nylon socks– IS 5084:1990
- If you want to start exporting then, apply for IEC Number.
Related: Small Business Registration in India
Socks Making Machines & Factory Setup
Choose a factory location that has a good infrastructure facility. Additionally, you will need to have 62 HP of power to run this unit. For the interruption-free running of the unit, you can install a generator set as a stand-by arrangement. Additionally, you will need to arrange the water supply alike any textile industry.
Some of the basic required machinery are:
- Automatic power socks knitting machine for the production of 3 color jacquard socks with horizontal stripes plating system color by color motif and mesh with color modes.
- Automatic power socks knitting machine for the production of terry socks with 2 color motif and horizontal stripes and broad rib elastic top up to 23 steps
- Overlock machine
- Rotor cabinet socks setting machine with built-in boiler and 36 frames
- Garment washing machine
- Dryer tumbler
- Washroom trolleys
- Steam press
Automatic Socks Manufacturing Machine
Procure fully automatic and computerized socks-making machines for quality output. Some of the basic features of automatic socks making machines are
- One main feeder plus five pattern feeders.
- The possibility of 6 colors in one course and 16 colors on one sock.
- Drumless, fully computerized control system
- The exclusive inner cam block system for high speed.
- Stepping motor for elastic yarn and stitch cam control.
- Electro-pneumatic yarn finger and cam control
- Pattern Depth up to 1,500 courses.
- Multiple stop motion sensors in case of error.
- Automatic recycling oil, counter and reset function.
- To guarantee easy operations, the USB faucet was adopted for easy to process the data.
- Available in 220/380/440V 3phase 50/60Hz.
- Fully A. C Servo motor adopted.
- Minimized and easy operating function.
- To protect the stored program, battery backup was adopted.
- Additionally, to support continuous knitting and keep the memory of the program, Internal UPS was adopted.
- To keep track of knitting conditions easily, such as raw materials density, speed, length, measure, graph, etc. Graphic type LCD adopted for easy operation.
- To make the running of stocking toe and heel steadier, the technique of double picker point and double down picker was adopted.
- Auto-testing, error sensors, such as broken yarn, broken needle, etc. self-protection system adopted.
Raw Materials For Socks Manufacturing Business
You must purchase the raw materials (Yarn) only from reputed manufacturers. Additionally, the materials must have excellent fastness properties as the quality of socks largely depends on yarn quality.
Some of the basic required raw materials are cotton yarn, acrylic yarn, nylon yarn, elastic yarn, and detergent for washing and packaging consumables.
Socks Making Manufacturing Process
Initially, decide the size and design of the socks to be knitted. And accordingly, select the machines and set them.
After setting the machine with the required design and size, load the predetermined color yarns on the bobbin stands in the creel assembly of the machine. And feed them into the knitting elements of the machine.
At the beginning stage, do the knitting with the elastic portion. And here you must use elastic yarn. Knit the leg portion followed by the heel and foot portion ending up with the toe portion of the socks. Then, close the toe portion of the socks by stitching on the overlock machine.
Then the socks go for washing in the socks washing machine containing a mild detergent.
After washing, charge the socks into a hydroextractor to remove excess water and dry them in a dryer tumbler.
Visual examination is done to remove any faults and finally ironed to remove wrinkles and also to provide proper shape. Reverse the socks and pair them manually by attaching pins at different places. Then pack the socks in polythene bags.
Now the socks are ready to go for the market. Apart from offline distribution, socks making business can generate revenue from online marketplaces.
Editorial Staff at NextWhatBusiness is a team of Business Consultants having years of experience in small and medium scale businesses.