PCB stands for Printed Circuit Board. And it is an important component in any type of domestic and industrial electrical equipment. Basically, it is the base of any electronics or electrical equipment. PCB provides the connectivity to the electronic component such as a resistor, capacitor, coils, pots, diodes, FET, transistor, ICs, transformer, etc. to form a complete electronic circuit. Here in this article, we intend to explore how to start a small scale PCB assembling business.
In today’s world, the electrical and electronics industry plays the most vital role in each and every sector of our life. And it is an integral part of Consumer and Industrial Electronics, IT, Gaming, Biotechnology, Automotive Electronics, Strategic Electronics, and Telecom industry. Basically, there are two different types of PCBs. These are single-layer PCBs and multilayer PCBs.
One can start PCB assembling and design business with small infrastructure and capital investment. Additionally, it is a perfect opportunity for entrepreneurs who have a specific educational background in the electronics segment. However, if you don’t have the assembling knowledge, you can start the business with skilled and experienced manpower.
PCB Assembling Market Potential
Basically, printed circuit boards are the backbone of the electronics industry. These are deployed in almost all electronic products, ranging from consumer gadgets such as PCs, tablets, smartphones and gaming consoles to industrial and even high-tech products in the strategic and medical electronics domains.
The Indian PCB industry is growing very fast. According to industry experts, the industry will touch US$ 400 billion by 2020. Apart from the consumer electronics segment, LED lighting, automotive industry, and industrial electronics are the major growth drivers.
Basically, the automotive industry in India is growing steadily. Generally, every car needs two to 15 PCBs, depending on the features and functionality requirements. Therefore, the demand for PCBs from this segment is bound to grow. Hence, we can conclude, this is the perfect time for starting a PCB assembling business of your own.
PCB Assembling Business Compliance
In starting the business, you have to apply for business registration and several licenses. Basically, the license requirements vary from state to state. Additionally, it depends on the business size and mode of operation too. It is advisable to talk to a small business consultant before commencing the business. Here, we have compiled a basic list of requirements that you must check.
- First of all, you have to register your business. You can start the business as a proprietorship basis. However, it is better to have an LLP or Pvt. Ltd formation.
- Apply for the Trade License from the local Municipal Authority.
- Apply for Udyog Aadhaar MSME Registration online.
- In this business, you have to apply for NOC from Pollution Control Board. And you must set up an effluent treatment plant as per the specification of the board.
- You can also apply for ISO certification. However, this is optional. Basically, the ISO 9000 defines
standards for quality management systems and ISO 14001 defines standards for Environmental Management System for acceptability at the international level.
- Finally, you can secure your company brand name with Trademark registration.
Check the upcoming tax liabilities and other yearly compliance liabilities also.
PCB Assembling Unit Setup & Machinery
Basically, PCB assembling comes under the four different segments. These are:
- Large volume manufacturing
- Small volume manufacturing
- Small volume fast-delivery manufacturing
- Small-volume complex-design PCB manufacturing
According to your business size, you have to secure a space and procure machinery. However, you can start a small scale assembling unit with 600 Sq Ft space of your own. However, you must ensure the availability of electricity and water.
- Heatwave soldering machine
- LCR-Q Meter
- Function Generator
- Power Supplies (O – 30V, 3 Amp)
- 4½ Digit Digital Multimeter
- Analog Multimeter
- Magnifying glass fitted with tube light
- Temperature control soldering station
- Soldering iron
- Computer with software and an internet connection
Raw Materials For PCB Assembling Business
The major raw materials requirement includes Solder, Flux, Chemicals, Adhesive, Wires & PCB, etc. You can procure the materials from the manufacturers or from the local wholesale market.
Basically, PCB assembling consists of several steps. Additionally, you have to maintain the quality standard as per the client’s specifications also.
Heat Pressing & Etching
Press the layout on the board using heat. Additionally, remove the unnecessary copper from the board.
PCB Drilling & Conductor Plating
First of all, drill the holes to match the legs of the electronic components. Then you have to go for the nickel or tin plating on copper around the holes so that the components can be soldered.
Soldering & Testing
Then pass the PCB though the heatwave soldering bath for soldering of the component to the PCB. In the next stage, remove the unwanted leads of the components.
Check whether the circuit is giving the required voltage and current. Place the electronic components to the respective location and solder them. Finally, taste the assembled PCB for its specification with the help of appropriate test jigs before despatch to the customer.
If you are not an expert, then you have to hire skilled and knowledgeable personnel for starting this business. And at the managerial level, you must hire an efficient engineer for the overall success of the manufacturing unit. He or she must have the following knowledge.
- Good knowledge of the functioning of the electronic components like transistors, capacitors, resistors, diode, IC’s, etc.
- Sound understanding of the functioning and working of the electronic circuit
- Knowledge of the different PCB base materials
- In addition to designing, he or she should know the assembling components and testing of the circuits
- Right knowledge of IPC/Mil standards
- Proper knowledge of software like CAD, Allegro, Altium or PADS, used for circuit board designing
- Effective communication and good client convincing skills.
In the PCB assembling business, designing is an important aspect to consider. Basically, there is a huge demand for upgraded PCBs with multiple features. Therefore, your employees must have the ability to understand the client’s requirements and design accordingly.
Editorial Staff at NextWhatBusiness is a team of Business Consultants having years of experience in small and medium scale businesses.