Do you want to start a fuel station or petrol pump business in India? Are you looking for the dealership opportunity of Hindustan Petroleum (HPCL), Bharat Petroleum (BPCL), Indian Oil (IOCL), Essar Oil, or any other oil company? The object of crafting this article is to provide a detailed guide about how to start a petrol pump business in India.
The petrol pump is a traditional business in India. And the business is also a lucrative venture for small business entrepreneurs. Additionally, the business offers sustained cash at little risk along with some prestige.
However, nowadays the business model has changed to a certain extent. And a fuel station offers other value-added services to the consumers. However, the business entirely depends on the local demographics.
We must say, starting a petrol pump is not at all an easy task. It requires a prominent location with sufficient space for operation. Additionally, there are several conditions that you must comply with.
Eligibility Criteria to Start a Petrol Pump in India
1. First of all, you must have a sufficient area of land in a prominent location. Generally, all the petrochemical companies publish the advertisement in the leading newspapers as well as on their website. So you must ensure a suitable piece of land in the area mentioned in the advertisement. You may either own it or have it on the long-term lease for a minimum time period as mentioned in the notification.
Related Read: How to Open Reliance Petrol Pump Dealership Business
2. You must be an Indian citizen and a resident of India as per the Income Tax rule. To be considered as an Indian resident, an individual should have stayed in India for 182 days or more in the last financial year.
3. You must have an age between 21-55 years. However, a Freedom Fighter under the CC2 category can apply for the license beyond this age limit.
4. You must have an educational qualification for rural ROs is 10+2 examination conducted by a Board/University and Graduation/ Chartered Accountant/ Company Secretary/ Cost Accountant/ Diploma in Engineering for regular ROs.
Cost of Starting a Petrol Pump in India
You must have a substantial investment capacity for this business. On an around, you will need to prepare with cash of 50-60 Lakh. You will need to show the ability of a minimum Rs 25 Lakh in the case of a normal pump and Rs 12 Lakh in the case of rural petrol pumps.
The following forms of investment are considered as eligible funds:
- Funds in the savings account or deposited in the bank or registered companies or postal schemes.
- National saving certificates and bonds.
- Shares of the listed companies from the Demat account.
- Mutual Fund investments.
However, the cash in hand and the jewelry are not valid propositions. Additionally, the current account balance will not be considered.
Generally, you will need to apply for the dealership with a nominal application fee. Application fees are Rs. 100 in the case of rural ROs and Rs. 1000 in the case of regular ROs. 50% concession is available for candidates belonging to SC/ ST.
Suggested Read: Top Lubricant Companies In India
You will need to pay the application fee in the form of a Demand Draft (DD) of scheduled bank drawn in favor of the concerned Oil Company. The fee is non-refundable. Additionally, one applicant cannot apply for more than one location. Moreover, one application for one applicant for one location.
The specific fee depends on the location and varies depending upon the oil company. Check the respective company website carefully before applying for the pump dealership.
How To Apply For The Petrol Pump License
First of all, you will need to look out for the release of an open advertisement by the petroleum company. Generally, the companies publish the advertisements in all leading newspapers and on official websites of the concerned company.
You can get the information from these advertisements or notifications about the location/s where the company proposes to set up a petrol pump. If you are interested, you can apply for the license for the opening petrol pump in the desired state/ city/ town/ area.
Below are the important website link for applying for the petrol pump license in India:
After getting the license you will need to establish the petrol pump and oil bunkers according to the company’s specifications.