Noodle or chow mein is one of the most popular snack food items in India. Noodles making process is simple. And any individual can start this business with small startup capital investment. Here in this article, we intend to explore how to start a small scale noodle manufacturing business.
Noodles are value-added processed food items from flour. Also, the product occupies a 45% market share in processed cereal products in India. According to the output and constitute, this is the largest segment in this sector of the processed food market.
Generally, this item is more popular in the northern parts of our country. The product is an extruded product made of tapioca flour and maida. They are long thread-like of 0.22 to 0.4 mm. thickness.
Generally, noodles come in two different variations. One is ready to eat or instant noodles with spice, oil, etc. Another is packed plain noodles that demand to mix with other ingredients and preparation. However, the ready to eat type fetch more profits than the second one. Additionally, you can sell the fresh wet noodles to the local snacks shop owners. Also, you can produce macaroni, spaghetti, vermicelli, egg noodles, chicken noodles and pasta from the same unit.
Additionally, you can sell the fresh wet noodles to the local snacks shop owners. Also, you can produce macaroni, spaghetti, vermicelli, egg noodles, chicken noodles and pasta from the same unit.
Noodles Market Potential
The product has a good potential market in both urban and rural areas of our country. And the popularity is increasing rapidly. Due to fast cooking properties, instant noodles today have a hugely important position in almost every Indian kitchen. Some of the most popular brands are Maggi, Yippee, Top-Ramen, Knorr, and Patanjali. Additionally, some of the major reasons for its popularity are
- The increasing population of the country.
- Rapid industrialization in the country.
- Increasing the purchasing capacity of the people.
- The durability of the product.
- The changing eating habit of the population.
- Increasing preference for ready to eat food because of the increasing numbers of working couples etc.
Noodles Making Legal Compliances
This is a food product item. And the business demands specific licensing before commencing the manufacturing operation. Check the state law of your area. Here we put some of the basic requirements.
- First of all, register your business with ROC. Choose your organization form carefully.
- Obtain Trade License from the local authority.
- Besides, you must apply for Udyog Aadhaar MSME online registration.
- Apply for GST Registration.
- Additionally, you will need to apply for an FSSAI license.
- Furthermore, obtain BIS Certification. It is mandatory.
- Compliance with PFA Act and GMP are mandatory.
- Register your brand name with Trademark
- Furthermore, you can also go for ISO 9001 certification to generate the trust of your consumers.
- This type of manufacturing operation doesn’t demand Pollution Control NOC, However, you can check with your local office. Additionally, you must maintain the good height of the roof of your workshop. And arrange exhaust fans to maintain a comfortable environment inside the factory premises.
Noodle Making Plant Setup
This type of manufacturing operation doesn’t demand a lot of space. However, you will need to secure a space of at least 700 Sq Ft for small scale operation. It is advisable to have a floor plan in hand before installing the machinery. Ensure the specific space for manufacturing, packaging, storage, and space for official work. Additionally, arrange utilities like electricity, water, and skilled manpower. Check what are the nearby transport facilities are available.
Noodles Making Machine
Choosing the right machine is extremely important in any type of manufacturing business. A wrong selection of machines may damage the quality and profitability of the product. So, it is advisable to take expert advice on getting the most suitable machine according to your specific requirements.
You can start a noodle manufacturing project in two ways. One is semi-automatic and another is fully-automatic. Different types of machines are available in the market. Here we put some of the basic requirements.
- Vertical type powder mixer with motor
- Dough mixer blade type
- Noodles making power operated machine with different size die-heads
- Weighing scales platform type
- Wooden trays
- Plastic Buckets
- Aluminum/Galvanised iron water tape pipeline fittings
- Water boiler-fuel heated
- Pouch filling and sealing machine
Raw Materials For Noodles Making
According to the taste and flavor of your product, you will need to formulate the recipe. However, you can source the formula and manufacturing technology from a reliable source. Some of the basic required raw materials are wheat flour, sugar, salt, starch, vegetable oils, different spices, Sodium Bicarbonate, etc. Additionally, you will need to procure the packaging consumables like pouches and outer boxes.
Noodles Making Process Flowchart
Noodles manufacturing attracts the following steps.
The average moisture content of dry mixes is 10-11%. First of all, you must blend the three ingredients maida, starch, and soda bicarbonate in a vertical mixer. Additionally, you will need to mix the edible color.
You can make satisfactory dough with the above blend only by using boiled water. You will find a gelatine form of the starch here. Then mix the ingredients in the dough mixer for about 12 to 15 minutes.
Then transfer the kneaded dough to the noodles making machine. From here you can produce extruded material of desired shape and length. However, you must use an appropriate type of die. Adjust the distance between the dyed surface and cutting blade. The moisture content of the product at this stage is
Then the cut noodles go from the cutting machine to fall on wooden trays. The product undergoes surface drying and becomes sufficiently hard enough to handle without sticking or being crushed. The moisture content of the pre-dried product is about 29.5%.
Now the moisture content of the product is 17%. The final stage is steaming. After proper steaming, you can get a quality product that has a longer shelf-life. The steamed and subsequently dried product has a moisture content of about 10%.
Noodle is a consumer durable processed food product. Therefore, it demands to establish a proper distribution channel, brand awareness, and sales promotion activity. Noodles manufacturing is a highly profitable business as far as revenue is concerned.
Recommended Tools for Startups
Editorial Staff at NextWhatBusiness is a team of Business Consultants having years of experience in small and medium scale businesses.