Do you want to start a sand manufacturing business? If yes, find here a stepwise business plan guide on starting sand making business with the manufacturing process, legalities, machinery, etc.
Sand is an essential component in the construction industry. River sand is the natural source of the sand. Natural or River sand are weathered and worn out particles of rocks. These are of various grades or sizes. It depends upon the amount of wearing. The artificial sand produced by proper machines can be a better substitute for river sand.
The sand must be of proper gradation. When fine particles are in proper proportion, the sand will have fewer voids. The cement quantity required will be less. Such sand is more economical. Sand manufacturing is a profitable business. It demands substantial capital investment in Plant setup.
Why Artificial Sand Manufacturing Is A Profitable Business?
Manufactured sand is produced by passing boulders and stones. It goes through a series of jaw and cone crushers for size reduction. Artificial sand making has a bright future in the construction industry. The demand for artificial sand is increasing rapidly. Here are the few reasons why artificial sand making has a good market opportunity in India.
- At present, artificial sand is nearly 50% cheaper than river sand. The river sand is being sold at around Rs 1,300 a tonne. The artificial sand is sold for half a price.
- River sand cannot meet the rising demand for the construction sector. River sand in many parts of the country is not graded properly. It has excessive silt and organic impurities. These can be detrimental to the durability of steel in the concrete. The manufactured sand has no silt or organic impurities.
- The presence of other impurities such as coal, bones, shells, mica and silt etc makes it inferior for the use in cement concrete. The decay of these materials shortens the life of the concrete. It because of the weathering effects.
- Nowadays, the Government has put a ban on lifting sand from River bed.
- Transportation of sand damages the roads.
- Removing sand from the river bed impacts the environment, as the water table goes deeper & ultimately dry.
Sand Making Business Registration & License
In starting sand making business, you will need to obtain different registrations and licenses.
- Incorporate the firm with ROC.
- Obtain Trade License from Municipal Authority
- Apply for Udyog Aadhaar MSME. This is optional. However, it will help you in getting Govt. subsidy.
- Obtain VAT registration.
- Apply for ‘NOC’ from State Pollution Control Board.
- Apply for BIS certification. The end product must satisfy all the requirements of IS: 383. Additionally, you can do gradation in accord with the usage of the sand. There are testing sieves, consists of 4.75mm, 2.36mm, 1.183mm, 600microns, 300 microns, 150 microns, etc.
Sand Making Machine & Unit Setup
First of all, you have to procure the major required machines. The list includes vibrating feeder, jaw crusher, impact crusher and vibrating screen for sand making. However, only, sand manufactured by VSI crusher/Rotopactor is cubical and angular in shape. Sand made by other types of machines is flaky, which is troublesome in working.
The Jaw crushers are generally used for crushing stones into metal/aggregates. Manufactured sand from jaw crusher, cone crusher, roll crusher often contain a higher percentage of dust and have the flaky particle.
In unit setup, you will require a minimum of 30,000 sq ft of land. It requires high voltage electricity to operate the machines.
Artificial Sand Making Process & Raw Materials
The manufacturing of the Sand process involves three stages. These are crushing of stones in to aggregates by VSI, then fed to Rotopactor to crush aggregates into the sand to required grain sizes (as fines). Then, do the screening to eliminate dust particles and Washing of sand eliminates very fine particles present within. Finally, the end product will satisfy all the requirements of IS:383. It can be used in Concrete & construction. However, the VSI Plants are available capacity up to 400Ton Per Hour (TPH).
Additionally, you can use all types of stone like gravel, basalt, granite as the raw material in sand making plant.