Polyclinics or specialty clinics are gaining rapid popularity in India. These clinics are popular in metro cities, small towns, and rural areas as demand for quality medical services is on the rise. It goes without saying that starting a polyclinic business can be a rewarding venture that caters to the diverse healthcare needs of people. In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through the process of establishing a polyclinic business in India, along with addressing frequently asked questions (FAQs) to provide you with valuable insights.
A polyclinic is also known as a multispecialty clinic. It offers a range of medical services under one roof. This model provides convenience to patients by bringing together various medical specialists and services in a single facility. Generally, a polyclinic provides services like examination, consultation, the prescription to outpatients including dispensing of medicines by a single/general practitioner/ specialist doctor /super-specialist doctor. Also, the clinic can perform a few minor procedures like dressing and administering injections, etc. However, the procedures must not require observation or a long stay.
Table of Contents
10 Steps to Start a Polyclinic Business in India
1. Market Research and Location
The first step toward starting a polyclinic business is to do market research and identify the healthcare needs of the local population and the medical services in demand. You need to choose a strategic location with good accessibility and proximity to residential areas and hospitals.
2. Understand the Polyclinic Market Potential In India
Lifestyle diseases like stress, infertility, and diabetes are rapidly increasing in India. So, urban people are visiting doctors more often than serious medical issues. Urban people prefer visiting a Trichology, Allergy, or Nephrocare than visiting a super specialty hospital offering similar kinds of services. Because everyone wants dedicated services for their health issues without wasting much time.
Suggested Read: Profitable Healthcare Business Ideas
The polyclinics save the time and pain of traveling to crowded and far-distanced big hospitals. And thus it has received a good response from consumers over the years. In a polyclinic, people get medical attention from experts under one roof whereas in a hospital they need to keep running from one department to another.
In addition, increasing disposable income and health awareness among the population is creating big opportunities for polyclinic business in India.
3. Decide on Services
A polyclinic can deliver the following healthcare services of a rehabilitative nature:
- Gen Physician
- Cardiothoracic surgery
- Internal Medicine Gen Surgery
- GI –Surgery
- Gynecology & Obstetrics
- Medical/Surgical Oncology
- Pediatrics/pediatric surgery
- Thoracic surgery
- Tuberculosis and Respiratory Disease
4. Create a Business Plan
Prepare a comprehensive business plan outlining your objectives, financial projections, and growth strategies.
Also, explore funding options, including personal savings, bank loans, angel investors, or venture capital.
5. Build Infrastructure of a Polyclinic
You will need to design a clean, comfortable, and welcoming environment for patients and staff. Plan the layout to accommodate consultation rooms, waiting areas, administrative spaces, and other facilities.
There are certain rules and regulations for providing infrastructure in the clinic. These are:
- First of all, you will need to develop and maintain to provide the physical facility in a safe and secure environment for patients, their families, staff, and visitors.
- You must provide a place having clean surroundings and shall comply with local bylaws in force if any from time to time.
- In addition, you must provide the minimum space requirement for carrying out the basic functions of the facility.
- Choose proper accounting software for carrying out daily transactions.
- You must provide adequate water supply, ventilation, and cleanliness on the premises.
- You must hang a prominent board/signage displaying the name of the clinic in a local language at the gate or on the building of the clinic.
Finally, you must display the following things:
- Name of the doctors with the registration number.
- The fee structure of the various doctors/ specialist
- Timings of the clinics (For example – from 8 am -2 pm)
- Services are provided within the Facility.
Furthermore, the clinic must have the furniture and fixtures in accordance with the activities and the workload of the Clinic/polyclinic.
6. Legal & Statutory Requirement For Polyclinic
Register your polyclinic as a legal entity, such as a private limited company or partnership firm. In addition, obtain the necessary medical licenses and permissions from local health authorities. Some of the basic licenses needed are listed below:
|Types of Licenses||Licensing Body|
|Trade License||Local Municipal Authority|
|Registration of medical doctor with
Central/State Medical Council
|MCI/State Medical Council
|Biomedical Management & Handling Rules, 1998||State pollution control
|Provisional registration of the Clinic||State Council|
7. Equipment & Drugs For Polyclinic
Invest in high-quality medical equipment and technology required for the services you offer. You must keep some of the essential and emergency equipment. the list includes a stethoscope, thermometer, Torch (flashlights), Sphygmomanometer(B.P. Apparatus), weighing scale, etc. In addition, you must provide adequate space for the storage of equipment and medicines.
Also, you will need to provide some basic minimal drugs and medicines. You will need to provide the healthcare support staff to meet the care treatment and service needs of the patient. However, numbers may vary according to the workload and scope of the services.
8. Administration & Operation Of Polyclinic
Hire experienced doctors, specialists, nurses, and support staff. Ensure they are registered and licensed.
In running and operating the clinic, you must follow several rules and guidelines. Here, we put some of the basics.
- Maintain medical records of patients treated by the clinic and health information and statistics in respect of national programs. And furnish the same to the district authorities in the form of quarterly reports.
- Keep all the copies, records, and statistics with the clinical establishment concerned for at least 3 or 5 years or in accordance with CEA Act rules.
- You will need to submit the information and statistics in times of emergency disaster or epidemic situations or as required from time to time by the National Council CEA Rules
- In addition, you must maintain a register for every patient visiting the clinic.
- Every patient shall undergo assessment, during the course of the assessment. You must maintain the documentation of patient findings, medications, and investigations. However, you must keep the documents with the signature of the consultant/ Specialist/super Specialist with the date and time.
9. Quality Control and Compliance
You must adhere to medical standards and guidelines to ensure patient safety and quality care. Furthermore, stay updated with healthcare regulations and maintain compliance with medical laws.
10. Marketing and Branding
Create a professional brand identity that reflects the quality and expertise of your polyclinic. Develop a website and maintain active social media profiles to showcase services and connect with patients.
Starting and operating a polyclinic is not everyone’s cup of tea. It needs the right knowledge, dedication, and of course substantial capital investment. However, there are immense scopes and opportunities for starting a small polyclinic.
Furthermore, you can also start with a small space. And expand the clinic as it grows. Concentrate on providing the right services according to the local demand. In addition, provide quality equipment. Polyclinic operations are huge. It is advisable to use the right software and quality manpower for smooth operation.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between a polyclinic and a hospital?
A polyclinic offers specialized medical services from various disciplines under one roof. On the other hand, a hospital provides a broader range of medical services, including surgery and inpatient care.
Do I need to be a medical professional to start a polyclinic?
While medical knowledge is beneficial, you can partner with qualified doctors and specialists to run the polyclinic effectively.
How do I attract patients to my polyclinic?
You need to focus on delivering high-quality medical services, maintaining a good online presence, and building positive word-of-mouth referrals.
What are the financial challenges of starting a polyclinic?
Initial investment in infrastructure, medical equipment, and staffing can be significant. A well-structured business plan and proper financial management are crucial.
How can I ensure patient data privacy and security?
Implement secure electronic medical record (EMR) systems and follow data protection regulations to safeguard patient information.